Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas is coming early this year!

In just a few short days SWTOR will be opening its doors to the many of us who preordered the game. With that in mind, I figure I should go ahead and write this introductory post now before all the distractions hit. Like many of you, I was drawn to this game as a huge fan of both Star Wars and BioWare. KotOR was an incredible game and it excited me to no end when an MMO in the same vein was announced. I have only really played one MMO before this: the ubiquitous World of Warcraft. I played off and on through vanilla and Burning Crusade, only starting to play seriously during the middle of Wrath of the Lich King and on through Cataclysm. I mostly filled the DPS role in those games because I enjoyed how competitive it was and how I could excel by researching and practicing my spec and rotation. However, I always secretly wanted to tank. Something about staunchly defending my allies and shielding them from hard just appeals to the hero fantasies within me. Before I had ever heard of TOR I had already decided deep down that I would main a tank in the next MMO I played.


Skip ahead to TOR. A bunch of friends of mine have also been looking forward to this game's release and decided to form an Imperial guild, leaving me three ACs to choose from if I wanted to tank: Juggernaut, Assassin, and Powertech. Needless to say, Powertech was my instant favorite. In addition to having the most rugged gear and a flamethrower, they also have the same badass-factor that Batman has by virtue of being just a regular guy who manages to keep up with these superhuman fighting machines through discipline, gadgetry, and guile. Give me a smoking blaster and a thermal detonator over some mystic mumbo jumbo and a glowing stick any day.


I decided to start this blog because of my own love of reading things like this. In basically every game I play, I spend hours online each day meticulously poring over every guide, every changelog, every scrap of information I can find about the character I'm playing. As we stand on the brink of TOR's release there isn't a huge amount of information out there yet about specific character specs. It really excites me to think that maybe, just maybe, I could be one of those helping to spread information to the community and teaching players how to do what they do better. If just one person reads this blog and comes away from it with something useful, it'll make it all worthwhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment